NOTE: The Noise Overlay link in this tutorial is broken. Ignore that part of the instructions, or use your creative skills and add your own.
1. OPEN a photo in Photoshop.
2. Duplicate the layer by pressing COMMAND and J.
3.Apply first filter by selecting FILTER>STYLIZE>DIFFUSE and select ARISOTROPIC.
4. Press COMMAND and CONTROL and F (at the same time) 3 times. This copies the diffuse filter 3 times.
5. Select IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > SHADOWS/HIGHLIGHTS and make the image brighter by changing the shadow amount. Then click OK.
6. Merge the layers by selecting LAYER > FLATTEN IMAGE.
7. Add a painting effect by selecting FILTER > STYLIZE > OIL PAINT. I changed most of these settings to 6. Experiment with the settings and pick what you like. However, SHINE should be at 0. Click OK.
8. This last step darkens edges. Select FILTER > FILTER GALLERY. A new menu opens. In the ARTISTIC folder select POSER EDGES. I changed all these settings to 6. Experiment and pick different settings. The goal is to have black edges.
Here is my image.